The Global Compact Italy Foundation has joined the UNGC Action Platform "Pathways to Low-Carbon & Resilient Development" which was launched in March 2017 by the United Nations Global Compact with the dual purpose of providing support to the National Plans for the Paris Climate Agreement and specifically to promote the advancement of 3 of the 17 UN Global Goals: SDG7 – Affordable & Clean Energy, SDG9 – Industry, Innovation & Infrastructure, SDG13 – Climate Action.
The objectives set out above will be pursued through the activation of an alliance between leading companies; the production of new knowledge and new tools; and the definition of recommendations for the private sector and for national governments. The main themes focusing on the Platform’s activities: Carbon pricing; Science based targets; Adaptation; and Responsible Policy.
The Platform has a multi-stakeholder composition and currently includes, as well as large firms, various international organizations and agencies, a National Government and Global Compact Local Networks in Brazil, China, Germany, India, Russia and, as described above, Italy.
“Pathways to Low-Carbon & Resilient Development” is one of the nine Platforms recently established by the UN Global Compact with the aim of creating a "multi-stakeholder space" for the design and identification of systemic solutions to the challenges of sustainable development and to support corporate contributions to SDGs.
The other Action Platforms currently focus on the following topics:
- The Blueprint for SDG Leadership – transversal contribution to all the SDGs;
- Reporting on the SDGs - transversal contribution to all the SDGs;
- Financial Innovation for the SDGs - transversal contribution to all the SDGs;
- Breakthrough Innovation for the SDGs – transversal contribution to all the SDGs;
- Health is Everyone’s Business – contribution to SDGs 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 17;
- Business for Inclusion and Gender Equality – contribution to SDGs 1, 5, 8, 10, 16, 17;
- Business for Humanitarian Action and Peace – contribution to SDGs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 16, 17;
- Decent Work in Global Supply Chains – contribution to SDGs 1, 3, 5, 8, 12, 17.